permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Some other big Hugelkulturs.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jay Woods <woodsjay@cox.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Some other big Hugelkulturs.
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 08:19:50 -0500

On Friday, September 09, 2011 02:21:45 AM Michael Pilarski wrote:
> The biggest hugelkulture I have ever seen was near the Bullock's property
> on Orcas island. The owners had cleared an acre or so of land and had big
> piles of logs. I don't know the whole sequence of activities as I was not
> there, but the finished product was that the big slash piles of logs were
> piled up and buried with soil on top. The area was large and the mound
> was perhaps 20 feet thick.
>
> The 2nd biggest hugelkulture I have seen was at Wise Earth community
> outside of Seattle Washington. Albert Postema, the land owner, runs a
> heavy equipment business specializing in green septic systems. Albert had
> stockpiled a lot of big logs and stumps over the years and made a
> hugelkullture hundreds of feet long and about 15 feet high. it
> incorporated many dump truck loads of manure and was topped up with soil.
> We planted an orchard, etc on the top and sides of the hugelkulture.
> After two years there were still blowholes of steam coming out of the
> top.
>
> Sepp Holzer makes big hugelkultures also. Basically, the bigger the
> equipment, the bigger you can build huglekultures. You can make some nice
> ones by hand. In my opinion most hugelkultures should be built by hand
> without heavy equipment. I just built one last month and it is already
> bearing eggplants. The concept works at many scales.

The one I'm building is a berm around an acre. Since I'm forcibly retired,
the
hand labor (including doctor bills for aggravating a bad back) is free.
Heavy
equipment is not readily available but brush and weed trees are. The beds
don't sag down as much as I expected during the summer. They are about the
same height as they were when covered with soil in May. The beds are six feet
wide. Since the city complained about using logs for retaining walls, I am
using urbanite. They surprised me by not collapsing at all. I've used up 5
dump truck loads so far and expect to use another 25 truck loads before the 6
foot height is reached.

Concerning urbanite (concrete sidewalk and driveway chunks mostly). I am
happy
to report that a lot of other useful waste will be delivered. This city is
over a hundred years old and expensive materials were used for sidewalks,
curbs, and streets. I have put to use a lot of quartzite slabs (at 600 lbs
each - those were difficult for two people to move by hand - I need to break
down and get some heavy cables and pulleys), granite curbs, and street
pavers.
My driveway strips are looking great from the slabs and so are the two new
benches under the trees.