permaculture - [permaculture] Biggest hugelkultur?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Biggest hugelkultur?
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 10:19:51 -0600

We've been spending the summer at White Deer Ranch in Montana, north of
Yellowstone while I've been writing. Yesterday the owners, Lee and Roxanne
Dunn, asked me if I wanted to help them put in a hugelkultur project. Sure. I
just didn't realize that Lee never does things on a small scale. He dug a
trench 40 feet long with a backhoe, we dragged some huge logs and a mountain
of brush from around the 450 acre ranch, added roughly 3500 pounds of old
hay, watered it in with water from the ranch's 12-acre pond, and tomorrow we
will cover it with soil. Definitely the biggest hugelkultur I've seen.

Roxanne posted photos of the project on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.245701522132088.52346.100000767271564&type=1&cmntid=245736072128633

If you're not a FB user, I'm planning on posting something on my website
soon. And if you ever want an incredible vacation in Montana, in the shadow
of the Beartooth Range and in gorgeous country, there are two rental houses
on the ranch (organic hay and a few animals) that I highly recommend. It's an
old homestead cottage and a new log home, and those oldtimers knew a lot
about siting, water, and soil--a fantastic place. We've been in heaven all
summer, hiking the Beartooths and swimming in the pond.

http://whitedeerranch.com

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com