permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Used keyline plow for sale?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Glenn Gall <glenngall@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Used keyline plow for sale?
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 22:44:56 -0400

Gents & Ladies --

I would like to purchase a keyline plow, but need to minimize the cost, so
thank you for this discussion. Knowing little about tractor farming, I do
have a few questions.

Darren, you mention only needing a bar and shanks. Are coulters necessary?
They're always included in quotes. Do they reduce strain on the shank or
the force needed? What is their purpose?

I have received quotes from both Purdy and MFI. As far as the edge of one
rep over another, the two quotes I have are fairly close, but were sent at
different times, so I can't really judge. I can vouch for Mr. Purdy's
helpfulness, as he has provided considerable insight into many aspects of
the plow, so I'm not yet willing to say "case closed."

Glenn