permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Used keyline plow for sale?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Used keyline plow for sale?
  • Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 09:28:55 -0400

On 5/6/2011 4:01 AM, Darren Doherty wrote:
G'day Lawrence,

Unless I am mistaken that is exactly what I did: I recommended either
Market Farming or Royal Purdy supply shanks and local frames!! So
don't know what tree you're barking up there matey! I don't know
anybody else that did Market Farming's job better than us in 2007 as
we hoiked a fully optioned plow from NY all the way to Wisconsin and
down to route 40 then across to CA with our family of 5 and Yeomans
rep Keith Ryan in a 5 seater...tight trip that was on the Keyline
Design tour back then so go real easy suggesting the locals are doing
a sterling job in getting this equisite tool out there....IMO the
local marketing of these implements has been breathtakingly
limited....At least Royal has a website (which I linked) and he has
sponsored both myself and Geoff Lawton (though Geoff doesn't do
Keyline) to do workshops in the US.

As for the Yeoman's the toolbars that they make are designed to
accomodate the full suite of equipment and have features that improve
their user-friendliness, a factor that one would only understand when
owning and operating one. Allan Yeomans and crew put a lot of
feedback-based thought into their frames and when you use them you
appreciate this. As we say the only bad thing about the Yeomans Plow
frames is the paint-job! The frames that I have seen in the US have
been a bit light on compared with the Yeomans models, especially the
cross beams. I can't recall whether they use 1/2" wall thickness on
the 4" RHS or not like Yeomans do.

As I said before, if people do not know about Market Farm Implement (that's what its name is, not Market Farming), have accurate information about them and do business with them to acquire Yeomans tooling then they may not carry that line any more. They go to a lot of trouble and expense to import Yeomans plows and have become the easiest, more reliable source for them in the USA. Is there another US company you can telephone and securely, with confidence, order Yeoman's equipment on the spot for a non-artificially-inflated price, and have it delivered to your property within a week or so plus buy spare parts for it whenever you need them? If so please let us know as it would be good for people to have more than one option. As for toolbars, Roll-A-Cone, Mfg. will fabricate any configuration you specify for an unbelievably low price, single, double toolbars, with or without level adjusting pneumatic tires, whatever you want. Keep it simple and don't buy more than you actually need. I have seen pictures of the very fine Yeomans toolbars and mounting accessories and they are very good. Where
are you going to find an importer for them in the US and for a resonable price. There's no replacement foe the Yeomans but toolbars are another matter. The toolbar system you need to have depends on what you're using the Yeomans for and how often your use it. You may need Yeomans accessories for it and will need to import them or have them made in the US, if that is possible or fabricate an alternate. Look at the pictures of Eric Kindberg's equipment and you will see the possibilities. Complex implementdesign and fabrication is done homebrew, on-farm all the time here in the US. Noone has come up with anything close to the Yeomans plow, though.

Contact info for US Yeomans plow and accessory dealer:

Market Farm Implement
257 Fawn Hollow Road
Friedens, Pa. 15541
Phone: (814)-443-1931
http://www.marketfarm.com/

US toolbar system manufacturer for Yeomans plows:

Roll-A-Cone Manufacturing Company
Phone: (806) 668-4722
Fax: (806) 668-4725
Mail: 7655 Roll-A-Cone Road, Tulia, TX 79088
E-mail: jbyrd_61@midplains.coop
http://www.roll-a-cone.com/
Phone: (814)-443-1931
Roll-A-Cone is a manufacturer and distributor of quality farm equipment. Our product line ranges from shank holders and plow frame hitches to 65-foot plows with every attachment imaginable. Most of our products are manufactured right here in our 5-acre shop in Tulia, Texas!

Pictures of a 3 shank Yeomans plow array mounted on an 8' Roll-A-Cone toolbar system:

Lawrence London Picasaweb Gallery: Tractor Equipment
https://picasaweb.google.com/dirt.4arm/TractorEquipment#

There are also pictures in that gallery of other interesting implements for raised bd farming that Eric Kindberg designed and fabricated, tested and used in market farming.