permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Used keyline plow for sale?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Used keyline plow for sale?
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 11:11:24 -0400

On 5/9/2011 10:44 PM, Glenn Gall wrote:
Gents& Ladies --

I would like to purchase a keyline plow, but need to minimize the cost, so
thank you for this discussion. Knowing little about tractor farming, I do
have a few questions.

Darren, you mention only needing a bar and shanks. Are coulters necessary?
They're always included in quotes. Do they reduce strain on the shank or
the force needed? What is their purpose?

I have received quotes from both Purdy and MFI. As far as the edge of one
rep over another, the two quotes I have are fairly close, but were sent at
different times, so I can't really judge. I can vouch for Mr. Purdy's
helpfulness, as he has provided considerable insight into many aspects of
the plow, so I'm not yet willing to say "case closed."

Could you post information about Royal Purdy and his Yeoman's plow dealership? I did not know about this option. It would be good for others interested in owning and using a Yeomans to have easy access to contact information for all the dealers, at least ones serving the farming and permaculture community here in the USA.

As I see it, as far as tractor-drawn implements is concerned, the Yeomans is indispensible to any serious farmer, gardener or permaculture practitioner.
Yeomans + hand tools
or
Yeomans, bottom plough, spring tooth field cultivator, rototiller, hiller-bedder plus annual Yeomans ploughing for subsoil tilth maintenance and nothing else other than hand tool usage to restore depth of tilth without turning the soil and disturbing soil dwelling organisms.

Coulters are probably very useful when you are using the Yeomans to
restore or maintain depth of tilth and improve water infiltration and retention in a planted field or pasture.