permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Perennial Nonedible Oilseeds- nut pines

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Perennial Nonedible Oilseeds- nut pines
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 17:28:26 -0400

From a book about Siberian peasants, it seems that Siberian nut pine is highly variable in cropping from year to year under Siberian conditions.

However, according to the book (basically about an isolated Old Believer family near Tannu Tuva with asides on food production) in the on years the country people in Siberia collect as many as they can and rely on them as a major food source. I don't know if they store them from year to year.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario