permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Perennial Nonedible Oilseeds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Perennial Nonedible Oilseeds
  • Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 18:34:24 -0500

For USDA zone 4 I don't think persimmon or pawpaw are a practical proposition due to lack of coldhardiness and unreliable production.

Presumably you are after a motor fuel.

I think tree nuts or seeds in general would give high harvesting costs, and the yield is alwyas subject to strong seasonal variations

A perennial oilfuel crop for the north is an admirable aspiration, but for the near future I think you would be better off to settle for sunflowers or canola and maybe do or follow research for the future.

Butternuts have been mentioned but I don't think that pure butternuts are practical until the canker is beaten, which I expect will be several decades if it happens.

Some resistant butternuts are thought to be hybrids with Oriental species, and there are the known buartnut (butternut/(Oriental e.g. Japanese heartnut)) hybrids.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada