permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Perennial Nonedible Oilseeds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Neil Bertrando <neilbertrando@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Perennial Nonedible Oilseeds
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 07:13:56 -0800

I'm unfamiliar with any as well. a couple of quick questions/comments for
clarification.

What do you want to do with the oil?

Have you looked into freshwater algae?

Why 'non-edible'?

Some edible annuals are flax, sunflower, canola/rape.

My understanding is that as the climate gets colder, often the available
nutritional needs become more animal based. For example, Inuits whose
dietary staples are seals and whales, both very rich in oils. Although the
quantities you can produce using real time sunlight energy will probably be
lower than using plants.

Have you looked into animal oils?

cheers,
Neil