permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] Fw: Alfalfa Plan B

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] Fw: Alfalfa Plan B
  • Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 16:59:54 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [SANET-MG] Fw: Alfalfa Plan B
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 12:55:41 -0800
From: sals3 <sals3@COX.NET>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

----- Original Message -----
From: John D'hondt
To: OGL@LSV.UKY.EDU
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 10:49 AM
Subject: Fw: Alfalfa Plan B

If you in de US have not seen this ...
john
Dear Friends,

We’re angry! MILLIONS of us are angry and outraged at the approval of GM alfalfa. And on top of that, the USDA also did an end-run around the courts to keep GM sugar beets growing, AND approved a GM corn used for ethanol.

So what do we do? Surrender? Never!

Before I propose a way forward, I want to share a victory you may have missed in the first paragraph. I said MILLIONS. That’s right, there are millions of us. And you can hear our frustration flying around in blogs, emails, press reports, petitions, etc. Do you remember the reaction just four years ago when GM sugar beets were approved for sale? There was nothing close to this response. It was hardly a blip. Where we have come in just a few years is a cause for celebration. And an unprecedented opportunity to throw our new weight around.

Within the first six months of last year, we witnessed more people in the US than ever before enthusiastically getting the word out about the dangers of GMOs. This was in part due to the huge internet distribution channels that have been getting articles and videos out to MILLIONS every month. (Thank you all!) And then there was the high profile media coverage of GE salmon and the sugar beet and alfalfa court cases.

In spite of their bitter outcomes at the hands of the USDA, the prolonged alfalfa and sugar beet fights actually helped elevate GMOs on our personal and national radar screens.

And now with MILLIONS of us grasping the significance and devastating loss of yet another crop, we have the components in place for a national revolution. We have the knowledge, the emotion, the network, and the profound injustice. Now we need an action plan. Enter Alfalfa: Plan B.

It’s time to use our collective power to move the market directly. It’s time we let the food companies know that we have new healthier criteria if they want to keep us as customers. And front and center in those new criteria is to commit to no GM alfalfa in their supply chain (which is used as animal feed, particularly to dairy cows).

This is our moment! Send a letter to dozens of dairies and food companies simultaneously. Let them know how strong we feel and how MILLIONS strong we are. When they get the message about the coming non-GMO tipping point, they’ll realize it’s time to remove all GM ingredients, not just alfalfa.

Share this “click and send revolution” with your friends, shop using the Non-GMO Shopping Guide, and tell the food companies the truth about GMOs. And for those who want to do even more, you are invited to join a local or national Non-GMO Action Group, to expand our numbers even further!

Send a letter now!

Safe Eating,

Jeffrey

To ensure you receive updates from ResponsibleTechnology.org in your inbox (not to bulk or junk folders), please add webmaster@responsibletechnology.org to your address book. You have received this email through your subscription to this campaign's email list. If you did not subscribe, or would no longer like to receive email updates unsubscribe here.

To update your email address or change your subscription details, click here.

  • [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] Fw: Alfalfa Plan B, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 03/09/2011