permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Bamboo flood control

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Bamboo flood control
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 01:57:26 -0800 (PST)

Thank you for this info, Darren, very interesting!  I will need to find which
native trees withstand hurricanes in our parts. A more deeply rooted tree
would find it easier to withstand gale force winds than bamboo, even if some
of the limbs break. Some of the palms here handle it by being very flexible
and bending quite far without breaking.  One palm at the site of our PDC had
its trunk ripped away by a hurricane except for the core, and has survived
quite nicely.
It is encouraging to hear about the old variety of bananas - so often the
heirlooms have "survival" qualities we are unaware of until they are tested!
In California earthquakes, there is also soil that liquifies, and houses
built on it are more likely to crumble. I went through the Northridge quake
in a house built on decomposed granite, and the whole hill moved as one
during the quake, thus, little damage. A friend was not so lucky, her house
was trashed in the liquid soils (which were common around the epicenter).
Chris, In New Orleans they removed the wetlands in favor of development, and
thus a protective barrier that could have prevented much of the damage. They
are an absorbent sponge, and can absorb both water and wind.
A deeply rooted diverse forest system has many advantages once it is
established - root systems can intertwine or graft to each other causing
quite a strong and supportive structure, and there are different levels and
types of root systems. Any monoculture such as bamboo or banana is subject to
stress. A polycrop suited to the soils and landscape should hold better.
Darren and others would know much better than me what might work in your
area.
Good luck on convincing people not to develop simply because nature doesn't
want them there. In the US, rather than listening to nature and observing,
people are rebuilding disaster prone areas with the same vulnerabilities,
just bigger man made levees.
Cory