permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Bamboo flood control

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Darren Doherty <darren@permaculture.biz>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Bamboo flood control
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 20:31:14 +1100

G'day,

Not all soils become liquid when waterlogged, if they did then a lot of the
dams that people like myself build would have slipped away upon
commissioning. I would suggest some due diligence come into this discussion
and some base understanding of geotechnical engineering especially as it
relates to Atterburg limits and clay dispersion. A wise civil engineer once
said to me, '....you have to know what you don't know!'

Was talking to a mate recently about the post Cyclone Yasi situation in
places like Tully and Innisfail in north Queensland and he has reported that
the only species left on his clients' banana growing properties, following
the 280kmh winds & inundation, was Casuarina equisetifolia, which is they
tell me an invasive in Florida (along with some other Aussies such as
Melaleuca spp. apparently....pretty well everything else including various
species of bamboo windbreaks (B. oldhamii in particular) were totally
uprooted. I asked him about bamboo and he said they were all removed by this
Cat.5 blow as apparently they were by previous Cat 4. cyclone Larry a few
years back.

Interestingly one of his clients after Larry started growing a endemised
banana variety that dated back to the Chinese back in the late 1800's when
they kept most people alive in these parts (as they did elsewhere in
Australia). There were a handful of this variety left and they were noticed
by this guy as having survived Larry. He totally lost his modern varieties
from Larry and so he replanted these (along with the modern cultivars) and
guess what? These old ones were the only ones that survived Yasi! Great
story and reminds one of that classic Fukuokan axiom 'Apply protracted and
thoughtful observation rather than protracted and thoughtless labour'

All the best,

Darren

On 15 February 2011 13:22, wenshidi@yahoo.co.uk <wenshidi@yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

> Cory and everybody else who replied, here is the additional info that you
> were looking for.
> Is this enough or do you need more detail still.
>
> "In fact these areas couldn't have people living there, however the
> government has authorized a lot of constructions. It's easy when they need
> votes.
> When the soil is waterlogged, it melts causing a shift of mass flow, do not
> know if you understand me. Even if the forest, would have a displacement of
> soil I think. A friend of mine told me that the bamboo can not resolve
> because its roots are much shallow. Do you agree with it?
> Any way I would like to propose to the government, first don't authorize
> anymore people living in this kind of area, second, use the areas to
> introduce the bamboo plantation and start develop a bamboo strategic plan."
>
> Thanks again for all the replies.
>
> Chris

Hooroo,
Darren J. Doherty
UPCOMING EVENTS

2011 RegenAG <http://goog_1946592595>® <http://www.regenag.com/> Workshop
Series Australia & Aotearoa/New Zealand
Autumn 2011 EU RegenAG® Tour with Darren Doherty - Spain, UK, Germany, EU
AUSTRALIA FELIX PERMACULTURE
Broadacre Permaculture Design & Development
International Permaculture Education

Patron Fundacion + Arboles <http://www.masarboles.org/>, España
Head of RegenAG®, Ecosystem Investment Management Australia Pty.
Ltd.<http://www.eima.com.au/>
Vice President New Soil Security Inc. (US)
Originator: RegenAG® <http://www.regenag.com/> Workshop Series

Web <http://www.permaculture.biz/>
<http://picasaweb.google.com/permaculture.biz>
PhotoLog <http://picasaweb.google.com/permaculture.biz>
Australia Felix Permaculture
Blog<http://www.australiafelixpermaculture.blogspot.com/>
RegenAG® Blog <http://regenag.blogspot.com/>

skype: permaculture.biz
phone: +61 431 444 836
and you will be removed from future dispatches.....

RegenAG® is a Registered Trademark of Darren J. Doherty

This message is only for the use of the addressee. The contents of this
email (including attachments) may be privileged and confidential. Any legal
privilege is not waived by mistaken delivery. If you are not the intended
recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email or attachments
to the intended recipient please notify the sender by return email or by
telephone on +61 (0) 431 444 836 and purge the message stored in any
electronic medium.