permaculture - Re: [permaculture] hierarchies and networks

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jamesdavid Sneed <harvestcircle@hotmail.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] hierarchies and networks
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 11:00:05 -0700

I wonder if the division between heirarchy and decentralization is sometimes
too "either-or", when small, decentralized heirarchies may be an avenue to
use strong leadership. Consensus without strong individuals can SOMETIMES
lead to weak groups, vulnerable to outside conditions that end up "steering
the drifting boat".
I do think that small heirarchies that are limited in their vertical
intgration must have a common theme to be effective, be it philosophical,
spiritual, familial, or other. But then, groups using consensus also need
that cohesion. Also necessary for those limited heirarchies is the true
willingness of the leadership to consult and listen to all members, with real
inclusiveness. This is probably less possible if a group exceeds fifty or so
members.
One ptfall I found that ruined several groups run by consensus was the silly
idea of "consensus minus one" which was promoted as a way to avoid being
bogged down by a stick-in-the-mud individual but always became a way of
ignoring the wisdom or concerns of the last holdout to consensus. Consensus
minus one is nothing like consensus and denatures the whole purpose.
How do other permaculture groups deal with this?