permaculture - Re: [permaculture] when to harvest bamboo

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] when to harvest bamboo
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 18:08:49 -0400

On 10/15/2010 4:35 PM, Dieter Brand wrote:
Which bamboo varieties produce edible culms?

My bamboo book lists the following as being edible (the shoots not the culms):

bambusa arundinacea
phyllostachys aurea
phyllostachys aureosulcata
phyllostachys dulcis
phyllostachys flexuosa
phyllostachys nidularia
phyllostachys nigra ‘Boryana’
phyllostachys pubescens
pleioblastus hindsii
sasa palmate
thamnocalamus tessallatus

Another source also recommends phyllostachys heterocycla, phyllostachys
praecox, phyllostachys iridescens.

I have a small phyllostachys that is edible. I think it is phyllostachys
aurea. The nodes at the lower part are compressed and form a somewhat
thicker and tapered base, which makes the culms useless for most other
purposes. The voles love the shoots too.

Thqnks Dieter. Does a shoot grow out of a clum which is a node on a rhizome? Googled anatomy of a bamboo plant and got stuck looking at pics & descriptions of various varieties and discussion of grasses in general. You might enjoy this:
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ecoph39.htm