permaculture - [permaculture] when to harvest bamboo

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] when to harvest bamboo
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 07:43:26 -0500

A small clump of bamboo (Phyllostachys aureosulcata) I planted on the
south side of one of our buildings more than 15 years ago is finally
putting out usable wood. The first 10 years it was never more than 3
feet high & the thickness of a pencil, but gradually spreading
everywhere in a small courtyard. 3 years ago we got a stretch of 35
below & I assumed it completely died back but after 2 years with zero
above ground activity this year it grew 10 - 15 feet high & a few
pieces are almost an inch thick. Is it best to harvest in the fall
while it is still green or should I wait until the spring? Also is
there any problem with harvest all the growth or should a bit of it be
left behind.

~mIEKAL