permaculture - Re: [permaculture] when to harvest bamboo

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] when to harvest bamboo
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 14:55:31 -0700 (PDT)

I have different types of bamboo. One type is edible. I can harvest almost
half of all shoots (around 100) each year for eating. It’s a matter of
experience to know when exactly to harvest them. If you let the shoots grow
for too long they will get hard. The non-edible types I use for poles and
other things in the garden. They grow new holms each year between March and
June. I always cut all the holms of the previous year when most of the new
holms have started to appear. If I cut before the new holms start to grow I
would weaken the plant, if I cut after all the new holms have grown the old
holms would impede the growth of the new holms. Under normal conditions
bamboo holms are supposed to reach their maximum size four years after
planting, but I find that even after 10 years they still get a bit taller
each year. If you just cut a few holms, I guess you could cut anytime
without weakening the plant too much. On the other hand, I don’t
find there is any point in not cutting all the holms of the previous year
once the new once have started to appear because the new once are always more
numerous and taller than the previous once.

Dieter Brand
Portugal

PS: I don’t use the clump-type bamboo. I had one but gave it up. Now I only
have those that spread.