permaculture - Re: [permaculture] when to harvest bamboo

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: loren luyendyk <loren@sborganics.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] when to harvest bamboo
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 18:29:13 +0000

Hi mIEKAL-

As far as I know bamboo culms are best harvested when they are over one year
old. That is- wait a full year (or better three) after the culm shoots up
before you harvest it. This will ensure that the wood is hard and dry.

I would say in your area best to harvest in the summer when it is dry
(although I assume you have summer rains, so pick a dryish spell for curing).
You want to harvest when the sap is low, like around the new moon so that
there are less sugars to attract bugs.

Others say to harvest when the sap is high (full moon), but then you must
leach the sap by standing the culm in a bucket of water for several weeks so
that it uses all of the sugars in the stem before drying.

The most important thing with bamboo durability (besides obviously good
growing conditions) is the curing/drying process- if it dries too fast they
will crack. Leave the harvested culms in the dry shade for another six
months to a year for highest quality poles.

Of course if you are using the culms for garden trellises etc harvest anytime
as durability may not be the concern.

visit bamboo forum for more...

PEACE in PErmACultrE-
Loren Luyendyk