permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Talking stick and time to respond - people care

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: A Sampson-Kelly <april@permaculturevisions.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Talking stick and time to respond - people care
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 12:53:31 +1100

Cory Brennan<cory8570@yahoo.com> wrote:
I have incorporated the "talking stick" or "sharing
tobacco" into all of
my community efforts. It is one of the most powerful
invisible structure
tools I know of for building compassion and understanding
and therefore, a
stronger community.
It's harder via email - I've tried it one on one with
wonderful results,
but never in a group.? But perhaps it is something we
would want to try
here....There really is no reason it wouldn't work, now
that I think about
it.

This is why I prefer to use email than any other communication for complex
ideas.
I like email because it allows me time to think, although some people may
hate the chopping and changing of topics
(facebook is probably more organised in that regard, because you can focus
on a thread)
But manners are very delicate via email, it is extremely easy to offend
someone, and much harder to get their respect back.
I recently spoke to the guy who dipped out of this email (I met him at the
permculture convergence in Cairns last month), and he
got so angry about the disrespect between emails that he left. He thought
that respect should come with the name. ie. Toby has great respect amongst
those
of us who know his work. But I see this all the time. I meet people who treat me
roughly until they connect the face with the name. "Whoopy doo" I think. I
don't care about dropping names, or lying on my laurels. If someone wants to
be abrupt to a stranger, that's their great loss. Everyone deserves respect,
everyone has a story.

April S-Kelly

Call 42285774 Fax +61 2 82087062 (from overseas) Fax 02 82087062 (within Australian)
Write: 280 Cordeaux Rd Mt Kembla Village 2526 Australia Facebook: April Sampson-Kelly
Students and Graduates Worldwide 50 Countries- /Argentina, Australia - (every state), Azerbaijan, // Brazil, Botswana, Bulgaria, Bermuda, Costa Rica, Canada- BC,ON, NL, Croatia, Czech Republic, France, Finland, Great Britain, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Holland, Honduras, Hungary, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jerusalem, Jordan, Kuwait, New Zealand, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Papua New Guinea, Oman, Panama, Philippines, Portugal, Republic of South Africa, Qatar, Slavokia, Spain, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Tonga, UK, USA (Alaska, CA, FL, KS, HA, IA, IL, IN, TN, ME, MT, NC, NM, OR, PA, SD, TX,VT, WA, WI), Venezuela, Wanica. Can't find your nation? Get on board./
Scholarships for People with Special Needs and Opportunities, Discounts for Young and Retired Participants.
ISO 14000, We are a carbon-neutral office. mailto:april@permaculturevisions.com http://www.permaculturevisions.com
See Our Giant Portal related to Permaculture Design Topics: http://www.permaculturevisions.com/links/

Please consider your environment before printing this email on old-fashioned paper.
Now is the moment for you to save paper, save storage, save ink and ink-based water pollution, save on indoor air pollution control and medicine, save on repairs for leads and printer, save power, save money, save on landfill. Save on having to stand up to attend the printer, save filing, save having to locate the files later, save having to type it all back in somewhere, sometime later. Enjoy this opportunity get outside instead and throw any seeds from your lunch into a pot plant OR pour out the dregs of your drink as fertliser. more <http://www.permaculturevisions.com/Potted_Worm_Farm.html>
<mailto:info@permaculturevisions.com>