permaculture - [permaculture] On an ethics of permaculture, by a permaculturist working intermittently in Haiti, also with Lakota

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] On an ethics of permaculture, by a permaculturist working intermittently in Haiti, also with Lakota
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 03:17:46 -0400

Cory Brennan <cory8570(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
I think it's great to look at these things and discuss them. My personal experience is this: those people who are most responsible for the problems absolutely need to be reached with the concepts of permaculture such as "fair share", "people care" and "care for the earth." These people, like many of us, were brought up in a culture that does not embody or transmit these values for the most part and is quite unconscious of them - in fact, it teaches the exact opposite in too many cases.

Having been involved with very successful programs to rehabilitate hard core criminals like murderers and rapists, I've found that criminals only become so because they have lost their self-respect and they have been brought up in an environment that has no workable ethics code. When they are presented with a workable code in a way that they can understand it, and told that they are not evil people inherently, but were misled, the lightbulb goes on and they want to try to do the right thing. Some of them become far more passionate and engaged about it than people who have not gone so far the other direction - they feel they have damage to make up, so they work hard at it.

How many of us have experienced something like that ourselves? Where we realize we've been blind, and now feel we need to make up for our former ignorant behavior?

Are we to assume that National Guardsmen are inherently evil and cannot possibly be touched by the beautiful and meaningful things about permaculture that we've all been touched so deeply by? Many of these guys (even more so in the armed forces) are from minority races who signed up because they didn't feel they had other options.

In Haiti, I observed US Army guys and other armed forces guys truly traumatized and touched by the suffering going on there. One guy from the UN forces liaison got incredibly enthusiastic about compost toilets and immediatley got the concept of connection to food, water, circular systems, and went back to convince his fellows that was the way to go to truly help Haitians. What if he succeeds? Would it be worth it to take the time to explain these things to him, even though he "appeared" to be a totally indoctrinated armed forces type of guy, at first? This guy actually got that these things would make Haitians independent and resilient, and they could increase abundance for themselves, and he wanted that. He actually had a conscience about it and cared.

Many Army guys are from inner cities and know all about social injustice. They are not all so "lost" as to not be able to see the advantages of permaculture, and who knows how those ideas may infiltrate the armed forces if it spreads? How about a "war, where nobody came?" Ideas are far more powerful than bullets, they can infiltrate even the tightest fortress, and bring it down. Don't underestimate the power of an idea, and how it can insinuate itself into people's worldviews, especially if it carries as much fundamental, practical, life affirming truth as principles of permaculture.
I believe we cannot afford to exclude anybody from the ideas of permaculture. If they truly think about them and observe them in action, they will not be able to continue their unethical activities with such unconsciousness. It is a unique type of challenge to find the entrance point into the reality of people who are far from seeing these things and to bring them along, closer and closer to seeing the big picture. Almost anybody has such an entrance point - I believe that only the most determinedly evil people may not and they are a small minority (based on my personal experience).

Who could do more for permaculture, worldwide? A tribesmember in Afghanistan who will never travel beyond his tribe, or a US Army general who totally gets it, and speaks out internationally about the changes we must make to achieve real justice and quality of life? I'm not suggesting it is not worth it to reach tribesmen in Afghanistan, that is not my point at all! I am currently at Pine Ridge reservation doing a permaculture project, and have a project in Haiti as well. But if I have the opportunity to try to enlighten a US Army general on permaculture and in doing so, change his viewpoints and ways, you bet I will do so. It's been my experience that if they don't get it, they don't dwell on it or use it at all, not that they misrepresent it.

Best, Cory Brennan
permacultureguild.us