permaculture - Re: [permaculture] washing dishes: by hand vs. dishwasher

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David Muhl <dmuhl65@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] washing dishes: by hand vs. dishwasher
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 19:37:25 -0700 (PDT)

I prefer the hand wash method myself. In addition to the 15 gallons used by
the dishwasher, let's not forget that most people rinse things before they
even go into the washer...and if they don't, they should! Ever go to get a
glass or a bowl at a friends house and it still has something stuck to it?
If they're dishwasher folk, it's usually because they didn't pre-rinse.
Dishwashers just can't get to every nook and cranny, and if you're
pre-rinsing anyway, it only takes a few extra scrubs to finish the job.
Sanitizing? Never got sick once from a hand washed cup or plate. Then
there's always the energy used to run the dishwasher. Can't forget that.