permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Question About Hugelkultur Mounds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: eclecticdr@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Question About Hugelkultur Mounds
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 21:27:54 EST

Yes, mercury in large fish (shark, swordfish, tuna) is a significant
problem. Eating non-farmed cold water wild salmon for example is a better
choice. I'm a dentist with a focus on heavy metal toxicity so I have a lot
of
experience with environmental heavy metal exposure. Most of the body burden
of mercury comes from the mercury fillings although the ADA and
conventional dental institutions would indicate the contrary. The rest of
the body
burden for mercury comes from our environment (go figure?!).
Warm regards,
Michael

In a message dated 1/14/2010 4:16:57 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
venaurafarm@bellsouth.net writes:

Mathew Waehner wrote:

> These fires would have burned through the understory but not consumed the
> trees. I can't guess the amount of ash produced, but it was probably
more
> than a "thimbleful to a wheelbarrow load".

.... every thirty years.
ash wound up on the surface so it got distributed throughout any
watersheds adoining the area set fire to, streams and lakes included;
not likely there was widespread soil toxicity from this.

Matthew:

I have heard that advisories have been issued that because of mercury
contamination, not to eat but a limited mount of fish caught in
municipal, farm and homestead ponds throughout the USA, at least in
areas succeptible to fallout of heavy metals, i.e. mercury, in emissions
from coal fired power plants by way of acid rain.

Is this true and is the problem this bad and so widespread.

As for BioChar, revisited, I have need of that as well as charcoal for
blacksmithing and have plenty of pine to use to make these valuable
products. We should start a Triangle area permaculture potluck group
and have workshops from time to time, BioChar and Hugelcultur being two
great topics to learn more about..

LL