permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Question About Hugelkultur Mounds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <erda@nor.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Question About Hugelkultur Mounds
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:09:37 +1100

On 15/01/10 5:11 AM, "Jim Helwig" <jimhelwig@mailcan.com> wrote:

> What is a good use for wood ashes?
Here's a few for starters....
Wood ash is a great cleaning agent, sift out the charcoal bits and keep a
container of fine ash in the kitchen for cleaning stoves, ovens, pots,
stainless steel surfaces, BBQ plates etc. Can also use it for cleaning out
animal housing, feed and water containers
I also use woodash for scrubbing my hands clean, especially after handing
oily or sticky substances
Dry Wood ash can be used in stored seed to absorb moisture and repel
insects.
Wood ash can be used in food processing, e.g. As a substitute for salt brine
for leeching/curing olives
I also coat any damaged surfaces of Jerusalem artichoke tubers in woodash
before placing them in clamp storage
Ciao
Robyn