permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Question About Hugelkultur Mounds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kevin Topek <ktopek@att.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Question About Hugelkultur Mounds
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 11:39:15 -0600

Keith,

I'm curious as to your recommendation. I usually add sugar (molasses) to encourage bacterial growth and nitrogen (such as urine) to increase fungal activity in high carbon materials. I have found that chemical fertilizer (leftover and unused by someone) placed on a scored stump will break it down within a year. We use molasses in lawns to decompose thatch. I also understand that both nitrogen and sugar are necessary for and increase both fungal and bacterial activity. Just some thoughts.

Kevin Topek