permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Question About Hugelkultur Mounds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mathew Waehner <waehner@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Question About Hugelkultur Mounds
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 17:14:49 -0500

Just thought that I would point out that Native Americans regularly set
fires to clear the forest understory and create forage for game. This may
not be the ideal management system, but it proved sustainable for thousands
of years.

Wikipedia has an excellent map pf the frequency of these fires; there were
very few areas of the US, apart from deserts, that were allowed to go thirty
years without a fire. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_ecology

These fires would have burned through the understory but not consumed the
trees. I can't guess the amount of ash produced, but it was probably more
than a "thimbleful to a wheelbarrow load".