permaculture - Re: [permaculture] County and global level permaculture design - got any?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dick Pierce <dickpiercedesigns@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] County and global level permaculture design - got any?
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 20:46:06 -0600

I just skimmed the PmC Design Booklet by Steve Read for Communities and
extended Communities in France. I found it very good, inspiring, and in good
coincidence with Transition Town, already mentioned. The website is:
http://steveread.free.fr/downloads/same%20planet%20different%20world.pdf

Steve's booklet reminded me of an old favorite by Antony Jay, *Corporation
Man*. Jay ran a nightly news show for the BBC - a task that went from
conception, to planning, deciding, production, integration, presentation all
in 24 hours ........ and then start their world all over again from zero for
the next day. So, he needed a very effective, efficient organization.

He researched and found that the primordial hunting band, linked to an
extended family, and loosely to a village, looser to clans, bands, and
loosest to tribal nations (why Navajos will tell you their grandparents,
their clans and not that they are Navajo). He applied these concepts to his
BBC crews and success - the hunting band of 8-15 members was the best unit
to do the work, that the tribe - a collection of independent bands - was
limited to 500 - 1000 members (the Chief and members knew everyone by name,
reputation, lineage, capability). Of course the hunting band would limit
itself to a defined territory, in-depth knowledge of that territory, very
specific roles, little hierarchy, etc. - a lot like Steve's and
Transition-Town stress on local, local, local.

The other organizational model that fascinates me - for which I know of no
great book - is the Circus. All have their roles and specialties/expertise,
there is a defined/steep hierarchy, but there is also a community, and
times when all turn out as equals to do the work (set-up, tear-down). A
memorable item is that all agree that there has to be an owner/boss
(COO/CEO), but that his/hers is the worst job in the Circus.

My Saturday evening, armchair contribution to your effort/presentation on
larger PC efforts.
I'd like to see the product or a piece of it.

Dick Pierce

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 10:00 PM, Michael Pilarski <
friendsofthetrees@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear Permies,
>
> I am writing an article on permaculture design applied at the macro-scale.
> Specifically, permaculture applied at the county level. City-scale,
> regional-scale and national-scale are also appropriate.
>
> Where has permaculture been applied at large scales so far in the world?
>
> What models are there? Where has been planning been done? Design work? Or
> permaculture-influenced community planning? Who has written up their ideas
> and proposals along these lines?
>
> I have less than a week to write this article. If you know of any
> projects, people, articles, books etc on permaculture at the macro-scale
> please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael Pilarski
>
> PS. Speaking of macro-scale, I invite everyone to read my just finished
> article on applying permaculture at the global level.
> A CARBON SEQUESTRATION PROPOSAL FOR THE WORLD:
> you can access the article from the front page of my website.
> www.friendsofthetrees.net

> Google command to search archives:

DickPierceDesigns@gmail.com
SE-NE (summer) & Austin, TX (winter)