permaculture - Re: [permaculture] if there were a benefit to deforestation...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] if there were a benefit to deforestation...
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 22:33:23 -0500

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
Mathew Waehner wrote:

>From the pictures I've seen on your blog, Larry, you are working good
peidmont clay. That has good cation exchange capacity, but needs organic

Actually it is Georgeville silt loam, a red soil that is highly permeable; won't hold water good enough to build a pond in it.

matter to build soil structure. Biochar probably wouldn't help much there.

Actually it might make a huge difference. My soil is highly permeabe and prone to leaching away nutrients during heavy rain; adding biochar would help retain these nutrients in the soil. Now I need at least a ton of it.

LL

Maybe not. It would be interesting to try some on one bed.

But on the sandy soils of Eastern NC, biochar could enhancce soil fertility
significantly by holding onto nutrients.

Absolutely, in that sandy loam in the Coastal Plain.