permaculture - Re: [permaculture] if there were a benefit to deforestation...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] if there were a benefit to deforestation...
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 12:25:27 -0500

Steven & Margaret Eisenhauer wrote:
Burning to charcoal versus burning to ash is certainly a great
potential for building a sustainable land based resource for energy and
agriculture. Larry Dobson is a pioneer in this area - his web site --

http://www.stiltman.com/html/energy_from_waste.htm

Those are expensive units. Nobody I know could afford one of those much less find sawdust to burn in it.

He says he has built a condensing bio burner that can also be tuned to burn
to charcoal rather than to ash. He is giving away his latest design due to
the lack of interest to commercialize it by the slippery boys of oil.

I'd like to see that design.

I would like to build one that anyone anywhere can put together out of
indigenous earth materials.

That's the best option; build your own from onsite materials practical to utilize, i.e. stone, possibly clay. Add found materials, metal scrap,
truck and tractor parts and the masonry materials I mentioned in my previous post.

We need a super insulating radiant barrier type structural building block

That is what Hebel and Aercon is. Usually called AAC block by contractors. Aerated autoclaved concrete block.

that can be made from site earth and I think I have a good idea how to do
it. This material would be impervious to biological attack (rot, insect, &
vermin), water penetration and could even float, yet be a good earth
amendment once its useful life is over.

Could you mix it with perlite and fireclay?