permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Citrus and cold

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Citrus and cold
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 22:13:09 -0500

Kevin Topek wrote:

citrus' grafted onto Trifoliata and Flying Dragon rootstock. Citrus varieties that do well here are: Improved Meyer Lemon, Satsumas, Honey Mandarin, Kumquats, Grapefruits, Pomelo, Hand of the Buddha, some Oranges (esp Republic of Texas), Calamondin (Phillppine Orange) and Mexican Thornless Lime.

These sound like wonderful citrus varieties, ones I would like to grow here in NC, maybe in a greenhouse. Are any of these you've listed dwarf or full sized trees, Kevin? Calmondin, Ponderosa Lemon and Meyer Lemon do fine here, with winter protection. I have a dwarf Meyer in huge pot, indors now; my Grandfather grew a ponderosa lemon in a tub in Pittsboro
(one of these huge lemons were enough for a whole pie) and my Mother grew calmondins in her ground floor laundry room for years; they were delicious (skins are sweet, rest is sour, what a lemonade that would make).