permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fruit tree orchard

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fruit tree orchard
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 22:18:16 -0500

Jessica Scadron wrote:
Happy New Year!

I'm doing research on growing a fruit tree orchard up near Mt.
Shasta in a meadow where currently there are no trees, only
grasses. The purpose of the orchard is to create jams, chutneys and
other preserves. Ideally the trees would produce fruit in 3 years
or less. Can anyone help guide me on the following?

--Are there any recommendations for books or resources that
identify the best fruit trees to grow in a 4-season, high altitude
climate like Shasta? --How do I quantify over time/as trees mature
how much each fruit tree will produce to plan for
production/output? --For the trees to successfully be transplanted,
is it better to plant young trees that haven't started fruiting
yet, or older trees that have? I'm also curious how this effects
timing in terms of time to produce fruit? (I realize it depends on
the tree/species, but the sooner the trees produce the better.)

My inclination would be to only plant young trees, i.e bareroot whips 5/8" - 1" caliper.

Your questions should be asked in the NAFEX list (North American Fruit Explorers). I run it for them so if you ask to be subscribed I will see it and add you. Go here to subscribe: