permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Citrus and cold

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Citrus and cold
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 12:33:45 -0800 (PST)

Steve,

We usually get a couple of weeks of light night frost during the winter. I
don’t grow citrus on a commercial basis, so I simply plant the types of
citrus trees I can get locally. The vendors mostly don’t even know the
cultivar names. Over the years, about a third of my citrus trees died
because of frost. Mostly, we don’t get more than about -3 C, but I remember
one year when the thermometer went down to -10 C for a few hours only, but
that was enough to kill off many trees. The citrus trees that die usually
grow back from the root. Once they are big enough, I use them for grafting
with those that have proven to be frost-hardy in my place. It is best to
protect young trees against the frost. Once they are bigger they are less
vulnerable, even though, young leafs and branches will always die back during
frost. In Japan, I have seen orange orchards covered with snow. It would be
nice to have a list of frost hardy citrus trees.

Dieter