permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Greetings

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Armed With A Mind Armed With A Mind <armedwithamind@hotmail.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Greetings
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 01:18:15 +0000

I appreciate the warning Doug. I am definetly wary of both manitoba maple and
balsam poplars weedy tendencies. Growing up in a half acre suburban lot in
Ontario there was a line of 60-80 foot tall balsam poplars on the edge of our
property. As a child and teenager I had the 'pleasure' of cutting the grass
for many years (probably my first nudge towards the sanity of edible
landscaping), and every year seedlings from both the poplar and manitoba
maple would pop up amongst the grass in droves to my amazement. I could not
believe how resiliant and fast growing these two species were in the face of
a half acre army of grass roots and many times I steered around the trees out
of respect. In few years of vegetable gardening manitoba maple is one of the
more common self seeders that has popped, regardless of whether or not there
were any seed bearing species within visual distance. I've since learned
about black locust as well and how it can spread like wild fire, and am
amazed that I see only one around.

Here at the farm as I think I said in an earlier post, there are several
dozen balsam poplars establishing in the north edge of one of the hay fields.
Most are about 3-5 feet heigh and have multiple sprouts from the base of each
tree. I gather this is because of being chopped up by haying equipment year
after year. I figure I should use this to my advantage and keep most of them
around as an eventual renewable firewood source, mulch the areas around them
with woodchips and/or old hay, and in two or three years time planting
compatable hardwood species amongst them in suntrap patterns and filling in
hte suntraps over the next few years with a food forest. We'll see how it
goes...

Travis

Eligible CDN College & University students can upgrade to Windows 7 before
Jan 3 for only $39.99. Upgrade now!
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9691819