permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Greetings

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Tripp Tibbetts <slowfoodguy@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Greetings
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 18:17:36 -0800 (PST)

Ditto what Mitch said.  Even on a smallish urban/suburban site like we have,
it's always frustrating to have to table plans for a season or two.  In
hind-site, it will seem like the best thing that could've happened.

I noticed that you're a fan of Fukuoka.  (And who isn't!?)  The One Straw
Revolution was the first permie type book I read, and once digested I was
ready to roll!  But not really.  Every book I've read since then, every
conversation I've had on this forum, and more than anything, every hour spent
in the garden, both physical and spiritual, reminds me that I am just
beginning my journey.  The more I learn, the more there is to learn.  My book
wishlist only changes in one direction.  More books!  Permaculture sometimes
seems like a Windows program that never ends.  Happily.  It's amazing.  Every
bit of it.  So enjoy it all.  The first Zone 1 sheet mulch application
through wildlife corridor management, and into the wider culture.

A hundred acres of alfalfa, timothy, and forest, with ample water?  At 28??
You dog!  I doubt I'm the only jealous thread surfer out there.  (Although I
manage a quarter section of family timber in Washington state...)  Question
for you though: do you like people?  You seem like a fairly gregarious
fellow.  Just be honest about that aspect of the future.

Slow and sane.  Listen to the experienced folks on this listserv.  You can
produce a whole bunch of food in a well-tended zone 1, and the outer zones
will appreciate your patience.  That's my advice, for what it's worth.  Take
it as slow as you can manage, and enjoy the ride.

Tripp out.

-Chinese proverb