permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Information monopoly (was: Intellectual property)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Information monopoly (was: Intellectual property)
  • Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 04:39:10 -0800 (PST)

Juergen,

I have the impression that you don’t understand the function of the
Intellectual Property system.  The system is subject to change according to
changes occurring in customs and society and there are some differences
between different countries.  But basically its function is to propagate
information and not to monopolize it.  Put simply, it is a contract between
the inventor (or author) and society that obliges the inventor to publish her
invention.  In exchange, society guarantees that others will not use the
invention for their own personal gain.  Nevertheless, others may use the
invention to improve on it.  Without that contract, the inventor would have
to hide her invention for as long as possible because everyone would be able
to steal it and use it for their own personal gain. Thus, nobody would be
able to improve on it, which would slow technological progress.  Today, no
industrial country can survive without an Intellectual Property
system.

Dieter