permaculture - [permaculture] off v on grid discernment

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: George Anna Clark <esac@laneta.apc.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] off v on grid discernment
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 17:11:28 -0500

Hi everyone,

I'm asking for advise regarding whether to get on the grid.... I live in south central Mexico where highs hover around 102 (in the shade, of course, much, much hotter under the sun) around 3 months of the year. I've been living full-time off-grid on my farm for the last three years. I have two 103 watt panels and 4 deep cycle (Trojan) batteries. My present inverter has a 650w "capacity" if that's the correct term, so no irons nor espresso machines, microwaves, etc etc. There's lots of sun, as it rains from June to September (otherwise, zilch), and pretty much doesn't rain in August and when it does rain it's usually at night. But hurricanes provide cloud cover (and much needed rain, of course); the high heat of spring plus lack of rain (i.e., now) produces quite a bit of haze from evaporation, I guess, as well as dust and even smog from Mexico City to the north.

Despite this last, the location is truly privileged regarding solar power.

On-grid electricity will soon come to the neighborhood, and with a sustainable livestyle my goal, I put out the question - "is it 'better' to be on the grid, generate (and sell) electricity and avoid batteries (with the temptation of course to buy appliances, use more electricity that I don't need) or use batteries which (I suspect) suffer from the heat plus I don't understand if they're recyclable or not (i.e, their env. impact)?"

I suppose I'm frustrated by not understanding why my batteries are low, why my nova-kool frig has problems (what the connection is between the two) and I'm especially frustrated by being refrigerator-less in such hot weather and buying a bag of ice daily, which surely is not sustainable. Plus it's just friggin' hot. :)

Not that I'm asking for a vote, although, hey, that's an idea, but would like to know people's opinions, and/or where else to look for advise...

my blog is http://chapulixtle.blogspot.com/ but unless you read spanish, you're kind of out of luck but you can always look at the pictures (sorry!), and the green (living? what's it called?) roof entry is in English (scroll down). (those of you who read it: you may be relieved to know that I found an appropriate alternative to the green plastic sheeting )

Thanks for listening!
George Anna