permaculture - [permaculture] Black walnuts and bamboo

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lisa Rollens" <rollens@fidnet.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Black walnuts and bamboo
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 17:56:20 -0500

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to share some observations from my farm. I have written with
questions before and really appreciate the feedback. So perhaps this might
be useful to someone else.

We all know that bamboo is a good permie plant...many uses. I bought some a
few years ago and put it down near, but not too close to, a small spring
pond, so I could water it when needed. Basically it has done little or no
growing, but it's still alive. The next year I bought another pot of the
same, presumably, and put it in my "nursery area" for pots, which happens to
be under a black walnut tree close to the house. I cover the ground with
split used black plastic bags and put pots on top. The very first winter I
attempted to pick up the pot to put it in the storm shelter. It had rooted
into the ground....surprising to me even then because it's only about 6 feet
from a large walnut tree. It survived the winter and the very next spring
put out a couple of shoots outside of the pot. I left them. Again another
winter, and this spring the bamboo has gone crazy. It has at least 13 shoots
coming up all over the place.

This has all surprised me greatly because I would never have thought that
bamboo had any juglone resistance. I've never read anything about this in
any of the permie books, and I wouldn't have suspected that bamboo and black
walnuts evolved anywhere near each other to develop any resistance.

I am going to leave this plant right where it is. It has chosen the spot
where it prefers to grow. I imagine it will stay somewhat in control because
we ususally have drought in this part of the country. But, the fun part is
that I really don't know what will happen!

If anyone else has bamboo close to black walnuts, or tries planting some,
please keep us posted on the results. I see plenty of potential here.

Lisa, in the MO Ozarks

  • [permaculture] Black walnuts and bamboo, Lisa Rollens, 05/10/2009