permaculture - Re: [permaculture] propagating papaya and passionfruit

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: George Anna Clark <esac@laneta.apc.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] propagating papaya and passionfruit
  • Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 20:16:53 -0500

Hi Antonio,

I've planted commercial papaya seed in seed trays and haven't had any problems. Supposedly Maradol (orange, hybrid, "unisex") don't produce true to parent, but have seen enough which have sprouted in the ground, in compost piles, and produced good fruit. So go figure...

passionfruit... did a websearch several months ago and it appears that commercial growers either re-plant at two years or prune them back heavily. They do require quite a bit of of water.... here it rains 4 months out of the year (june-september) when we're lucky... no flowers until their roots are soaked for a good amount of time, and of course, warm weather. If you have a cool and/or dry corner you might have problems. Never had to pollinate by hand.

I plantedted passionfruit to climb up to my roof and shade it. Big mistake, fallen fruit stays up there and attracts rats... potential growers: train it where you can harvest it!!!

suerte,
george anna