permaculture - Re: [permaculture] propagating papaya

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Mathew Waehner" <waehner@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] propagating papaya
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 11:45:30 -0400

I accidentally had dozens of them sprout out of my compost. We only ate a
couple of papayas the year before. The papayas grew to over seven feet (two
meters) in six months, in a location that only receives about seven hours of
sunlight. Although I can't say for sure what led to this "success", the
seeds would have been planted at mixed depths and all buried under two
inches of mulch.

Papayas and many other fruits evolved to be eaten whole and dispersed by
megafauna (Gomphotheres). The seeds would probably be happiest in something
similar to a pile of elephant manure.
http://www.thegreatstory.org/anachronistic_fruits/page1.html

I dug a few of my papaya trees up in preparation for moving them indoors for
the winter and they lost all of their leaves within a day. The plants had
no fine roots at all- I speculate that they depend on mycorrhizal fungus.