permaculture - [permaculture] Treetops Community Camp in Texas

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marjory <forestgarden@gvtc.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Treetops Community Camp in Texas
  • Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 18:16:55 -0500

There is a wonderful week-long camp happening this October for children and parents in the Davy Crockett National forest outside of Lufkin, TX. The age range of children is expected to be 5-14. My daughter and I will be attending and are we excited!

The structure of this session will be based on community. The children will have governance over the week. There are basic guidelines but the children will have most of the power. (parents you get to just be there and maintain safety ;-) ) This will include creating a schedule for the time we are there, working out who is doing what jobs (e.g. cooking meals, cleaning dishes, activity monitor, water monitor....), what happens when someone doesn't do their job... and so on.

Also included in the children's management will be working out what types of activities are going to happen. There are many different subjects which can be addressed, we'll discuss them and decide upon which are of interest on the first day. There are so many things there to do. The lodge has a Native American room, a nature library, and indoor labs for independent study of birds, botany, butterflies, forestry, astronomy, wildflowers, insects, rocks and fossils, and loads of games. There is a pond, a labyrinth, several gardens, a tire swing and a tepee (it does need some repair) on the property. Not to mention the places to go off the property after the week is over. One is the Caddoan Mounds. http://www.thc.state.tx.us/hsites/hs_caddo.aspx?Site=Caddo

This will be a week long, in-residence session. Group size (including adults) is min of 12, max of 24. The dates are Oct 19-24. The cost will be $175 for the first child, $125 for additional children in the family, and $50 per adult. This includes meals, lodging, and a trip to the Pineywoods Herb Farm. http://pineywoodsherbfarm.com/Home_Page.html

Treetops' mission is "to provide each participant those experiences through which awareness of the impact of his or her choices and actions on present and future environments will be acquired." http://treetopsintheforest.org/about.htm

Seanna Saxon is the contact for this event. If you have any questions, send them to her.
Seana Saxon
seana.saxon@gmail.com <mailto:seana.saxon@gmail.com>
817-915-4225