permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Certification Consensus

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claudia Joseph <permie@earthlink.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Certification Consensus
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 09:11:28 -0400

The glitch seems to be in the administration of any program we create. Paper work isn't fun and it takes time. There is no system to pay anyone for doing it. And the US is so large that site visits can be expensive and time consuming. I think what we lack is proximity and relationship - permaculture is spread out all over the place and finding the glue that binds us together is the challenge. A directory of places where trainees can intern would be a start - but then, who would OK those?

Seeing the Diploma page is very helpful. Thanks for sending that, Steve. We attempted to start a diploma system in the US a few years ago. Defining impartial criteria and nominating people to review applications must have bogged down the whole process. - I haven't heard anything recently. Again, there is no pay for this time spent. I think everybody with a visible project is working pretty hard already.

Defining what a certificate means and getting national - and international - consensus on that would be a great first step.

Claudia