permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Certification Consensus

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Darren Doherty" <darren@permaculture.biz>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Certification Consensus
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 10:17:39 +1000

G'day,
I trust that this greets you all well...

It is perhaps timely to give something from the, or rather 'an' Australian
experience.

We basically have 3 systems at work:

1. The Permaculture Institute or TPI (Australia ie. Bill Mollison's)
"Permaculture Design Certificate Course" or PDCC (copy of current
Permaculture Design Certificate or PDC is at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/permaculture.biz/PermacultureInstituteTeacherRegistration29/photo#5197386852660307586).
Since
2002 this certificate has only been able to be given by Registered Teachers
of TPI (copy of TPI Teacher Registration Certificate is at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/permaculture.biz/PermacultureInstituteTeacherRegistration29/photo#5119561015762903090),
whereas before there was an 'unregulated' system where basically anybody who
had done a PDC could buy PDCC's from TPI and provide them to graduates of
their respective courses. There was some disquiet at the time about this
system being established but now it is there and people choose to be a part
of it or not. The basic process is pretty simple: you submit your syllabus
and any course materials demonstrating that you cover the curriculum:
'Permaculture: A Designers Manual' or PDM....this is a heady task in itself
and we have managed it I'll say just: todays' various creative teaching
methods certainly helps as has going out to 14 days instead of 12 or 13....9
would be tough, if not impossible for many students....

I am in two minds about putting up my syllabus online (alone with just
everything else at Google Documents!) as at once I want to be having these
discussions with my peers but I don't want any prospective students seeing
what is really my script or running sheet....especially when in a course I
change it all of the time due to their requirements or unforeseen time
constraints - I have had negative feedback from some students who have been
inadvertantly given my syllabus prior to the course only to find that I am a
bit more 'flexible' than that, as I believe one needs to be! For the record
we do 'Day to a Subject' in the same order of chapters as in the PDM.

Bill's strategy for making the PDC as 72 hours was that that was equivalent
to one subject of one semester in mainstream tertiary institutions. More
information on the TPI Teacher Registration process and the register of
teachers itself can be found at: http://www.tagari.com/index.php?page_id=18

2. Accredited Permaculture Training or APT which is owned and administered
by Permaculture International Limited or PIL. This was organised by some of
Australia's leading Permaculture Teachers as a means of getting Permaculture
training into mainstream education....It has been successful at doing so and
will continue to be as it is attractive to mainstream institutions,
educators and to businesses who require that their employees have
appropriate trade qualifications. Whilst the PDCC is apparently 'recognised'
(the nature of this recognition is unclear to me) as such by a number of
institutions, the APT does work within the Government accredited process.
More information on APT can be found at:
http://www.permacultureinternational.org/apt

3. Unaccredited/Unregistered system: the 'old' way if you like of people
teaching PDC's and issuing their own certificates from their own institutes
or otherwise according to their own standards and curriculum's, the latter
often aligned with the PDM but then often having a more regional focus and
therefore not covering all of the climate zones or missing earthworks or
whatever...This suits some who don't want to have a relationship with TPI
for whatever reason or who have their own institutions and outlooks on all
of this. This type of course is by far in the minority here in Australia as
many of the more experienced PDC teachers are now in one or the other
aforementioned systems, with a few notable exceptions...some of whom deliver
very high quality courses and outcomes others who don't. To Bill the law of
the jungle applies, as it does to the other modes, "if you are a crap
teacher then you won't get any new students"....

On the latter point I think that the same crude rule of feedback applies to
Professional PC Designer's as well....this places some natural/financial
limits on some, and I would suggest most, who are endeavouring to enter into
the foray of Pro PC Design. Clearly the ratio of students of PDC's:Pro PC
Designer's and PC Teachers for that matter is pretty low....PC practitioners
is another matter though and these folk are the 'grunt' of the movement with
their daily application of the principles of Permaculture, and in the
conversations that they have with their families, neighbours, communities
and by the consumer choices that they make along the way, not least the way
they vote mindful of all this stuff.

All the best,

Darren Doherty

Hooroo,