permaculture - Re: [permaculture] 9-day PDC???

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David Glober <david.glober@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] 9-day PDC???
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 00:33:33 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings:

I'm a recent PDC 'graduate' - not quite one year ago - with some prior
organic gardening and farming experience.

My certificate says I've completed a Permaculture Design Consultancy Course.
Basically that I went to school for some unspecified period of time and that
was the subject matter. It doesn't use the word Trainee. What it means to me
is I've taken a brief and condensed Permaculture Design overview course. But
the message has seemed mixed to me. To me there was a certain amount of hype
and confusion. We were told we could now teach a Permaculture Design to
other people, but - don't hang a shingle, don't advertise our services, we're
not ready for that. Now I just look to my own skill set to sort that out, but
initially it was confusing, not just in terms of qualifications - but
expectations.

What happened in the course was that really qualified teachers went over the
Design Manual and gave us some opportunities to practice Design methods and
principles. And I think that gave us a Design mindset, attitude, overview,
approach. That's not the same as becoming a Designer. Even Bill worked with
designs on a couple hundred farms or so before he really put himself out
there as a designer.

It seems to me the people who were most at ease and enjoyed the course most
and benefited the most - were the students with prior landscape design
experience and/or the students with more than an acre land or access to a
good bit of land....

As with any other teaching - some of the one-on-one time was the most
memorable, made the deepest impression, may last with me the longest. One of
several examples I could mention - Geoff Lawton saying to me with great
sincerity at lunch something he'd mentioned in class - Garden like you'd
farm, and farm like you'd garden. Having done a bit of both, that really
struck home, and I think about that one phrase very often, while doing hands
on work - or when thinking in terms of design.

David Glober
San Francisco

Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com> wrote: Similarly to what Steve Read
wrote, it's a misconception that the PDC
makes you a "certified Pc designer." That was never Mollison's
intention, and he and others have gone to great lengths to make that
clear. My certificate from the course I took from Bill and Scott Pittman
in the early 90s says that I "have completed a Permaculture Design
Trainee Course," so I was a Pc design trainee. I've never seen a
certificate that declares that the holder is a certified designer. Does
anyone out there have a certificate that says that?

now.