permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Jerusalem Artichokes,An Overlooked Market Crop]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Mathew Waehner" <waehner@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Jerusalem Artichokes,An Overlooked Market Crop]
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 08:17:49 -0400

As far as the tremendous wind, I've read that that comes from the inulin,
which some people aren't able to metabolise easily. For such people, it may
be helpful to store them above ground to let the inulin turn to starch.

I will be planting some tomorrow; if anyone notices a tremendous wind from
North Carolina next fall, sorry about that.

I ordered them from Oikos Tree crops, $8 for 7 tubers. I don't know if that
was a good price or not.

I think that it is a great idea to plant edible things that are nearly
impossible to kill, in the right location.