permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Jerusalem Artichokes,An Overlooked Market Crop]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "L. Santoyo Designs" <santoyo@earthflow.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Jerusalem Artichokes,An Overlooked Market Crop]
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 19:57:20 -0700

On 4/4/08 11:17 PM, "Mathew Waehner" <waehner@gmail.com> wrote:

As far as the tremendous wind, I've read that that comes from the inulin,
which some people aren't able to metabolise easily. For such people, it may
be helpful to store them above ground to let the inulin turn to starch.

They really need to be cooked well - this changes the nature of the inulin
and makes it readily assimable/digestible - a nutritionist explained it to
me but can't recall the chemistry at work. Anyway have found it works - well
cooked there's no gaseous aftermath.
For those who don't have such problems, try slicing them into a stir fry
with salted blackbeans (or blackbean sauce), garlic, shallots and chinese
greens - yummm...
Ciao
Robyn

We had a bumper crop a few years back -gave lots away to plant and eat -my neighbor returned them to us as a fiery hot chile salt pickled ferment, kinda-like a kim chee -

If your heart and arteries are good -try preparing them thinly sliced, layered with potatoes, onions and a white flour, butter & cream sauce, extra gruyere cheese, sprinkle with diced pancetta then bake an hour or more, then finish in the broiler till a golden brown crust appears -scalloped potatoes sunchoke au gratin...

L.Santoyo