permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Jerusalem Artichokes,An Overlooked Market Crop]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <erda@nor.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Jerusalem Artichokes,An Overlooked Market Crop]
  • Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 12:38:33 +1100

On 4/4/08 11:17 PM, "Mathew Waehner" <waehner@gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as the tremendous wind, I've read that that comes from the inulin,
> which some people aren't able to metabolise easily. For such people, it may
> be helpful to store them above ground to let the inulin turn to starch.

They really need to be cooked well - this changes the nature of the inulin
and makes it readily assimable/digestible - a nutritionist explained it to
me but can't recall the chemistry at work. Anyway have found it works - well
cooked there's no gaseous aftermath.
For those who don't have such problems, try slicing them into a stir fry
with salted blackbeans (or blackbean sauce), garlic, shallots and chinese
greens - yummm...
Ciao
Robyn