permaculture - Re: [permaculture] what about lubrication?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] what about lubrication?
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 09:27:11 EDT

I've been away at the beach for a week and am just getting back to reading
john2116's query "i just saw david bloom speak on a youtube video and he said
that brazil imports no oil what so ever. what about lubrication oil for the
engine? how can we make this out of renewable resources?"

I haven't read the rest of the thread, so just delete this if I'm repeating
what everyone else has said.

There are two fine lubricating oils that have been placed at the top of the
performance mark by every machinist. The first is the traditional sperm oil,
from spermaceti whales. Not sustainable.

The second is a very common scrubland weed, ubiquitous in most of Mexico and
grown commercially in, I think, Arizona for a number of years. That one is
jojoba.

It's a woody shrub with a soapy bean, and not just good for shampoo. Works
fine as a machine lubricant. Both sustainable and a good use for otherwise
next
to useless semidesert scrubland.

Michael