permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Coconuts & permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dylan Ford <dford@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Coconuts & permaculture
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 21:52:40 -0500

Charles - You needn't go too far to see Cabruca style coffee and cacao
production, or at least where it once flourished.

Off the Blanchisseuse Road, north of Arima is the Asa Wright Nature Centre,
at one time a working Coffee and Cacao Station, and now an Ecotourism Mecca
for naturalists. It is a great destination for a day-trip (I would call for
details - it is quite popular now) but if you get there early morning it is
wonderful for birdwatching even if you never leave the porch. It has a great
view down the Arima Valley, and if you are there in the proper season you
can see the Immortelle trees in bloom. These pink and reddish flowering
trees are native to Trinidad and were widely planted, apparently were
considered the perfect overstory tree for shadegrown coffee and cacao.

I don't know if the Coffee and cacao are still harvested there, but on my
first visit there some thirty years ago I heard great stories about parties
that were held to "dance" the cacao. I believe the pods were spread beneath
boards and then well-lubricated employees and guests would dance upon them
all night to break the husks. The details have faded from my well-lubricated
mind.

The Immortelle trees at Asa Wright also provide homes to colonies of
Oropendulas, worth the trip themselves. I was lucky enough to visit the
Centre because a dear friend of mine, Norte American wildlife artist and
naturalist Don Eckelberry was one of the main driving forces behind buying
this property and gifting it as "forever wild" in perpetuity to the people
of Trinidad & Tobago, who taught him so much about how to live.

I have had a brief but memorable love affair with Belize as well. Ah, the
one that got away. dylan

Dylan Ford is the author of the proposal at www.ideaforpresident.com , a
website devoted to an idea that could provide an avenue to address pollution
issues, food safety, social justice, prison reform and healthcare.