permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Used cooking oil vehicles

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jenny Katz <jennykatz@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Used cooking oil vehicles
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 20:02:04 -0400

Britt,

I'm in northern CT; two years ago I bought a 2002 VW Jetta and had it converted (greasecar.com; they recommended a mechanic who did the conversion for me). I get my oil from a Japanese restaurant in Hartford.

Honestly, while I love the idea of running on trash, and while many other people have had very smooth experiences, I've had a frustrating time. Partly this is because I jumped in too fast: I don't know anything about cars myself and have yet to make the right friends. It sounds as if you wouldn't have that problem. I also think my car is a bit of a lemon: I've had to have a lot of repairs made, some fuel- related, some not. About a year ago, in fact, I had to have the fuel pump and some other stuff replaced, and the bill set me back enough that I've been scared to run WVO since. The other problem: Most of the driving I do is very short-distance--say, to the kids' school and back--so during the cold months, the car doesn't even heat up enough to switch from diesel to veggie oil.

I'm hoping to get a my filtering system more refined this summer and have the system cleaned out--and then maybe things will go more smoothly. For the moment, I console myself with the thought that I have at least introduced the concept of alternative fuel to this fairly conservative suburban mom-town.

Jenny