permaculture - [permaculture] Coconuts & permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Charles de Matas <cdematas@hotmail.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Coconuts & permaculture
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:52:24 +0000

Belize (and Bahia) are places that I would like to visit some day.
Unfortunately the time of your PDC's are not convenient for me. My mouth
begins to water when I think of the sapodillas that you must be getting in
Belize now. Last week I bought a few sapodillas from a roadside vendor and
he told me they were imported from another caribbean island, St Vincent.
That's the stage we have reached here in Trinidad and Tobago, having to
import sapodillas. We are importing practically all of our food, even the
fruits that we can be grown locally. This is due to the rapid "development"
that is going on in the country. The same thing is happening in Venezuela.
They are importing nearly all of their food and the poorer people are facing
unbearable food prices.
Anyway, what is this cabruca syle of cacao production? I'd like to learn
more. I'd also like to learn more vanilla as a cash crop. Is it very labour
intensive?

Charles
T&T