permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Coconuts & permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: christopher nesbitt <christopher.nesbitt@mmrfbz.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Coconuts & permaculture
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:42:20 -0600

Hi Charles,

I have never been to Trinidad. You have the Cocoa Research Institute and its seed bank there, and I would love to visit.

Belize also is heavily dependent on imports of food. Some rural areas, down in Belizes under developed south, where we live, for example, are pretty secure in staples, rice, beans, corn, but import a lot of food, too. Most agriculture in Belize is oriented towards export crops, which earn foreign currsency and tax revenue, and then purchase foreign foods. Flour just spiked %15 increase, and other prices are going up. We are eating sapodilla today, though ;-).

Cabruca style is planting cacao under the shade of selected forest trees, so the transition from forest to cacao is softer on the environment, and the canopy is typically comprised of native species. This style creates a lot of habitat and is useful for maintaining buffer zones between cultuvated and wild areas.

I was in Venezuela in 2001 & 2006 looking at coffee and cacao, respectively. In 2006, Venezuela had obviously spent a lot of money in infrastructure, highways, etc, but there was a lot of poverty, too. I have been to Estacion Experimental Chama in Zulia and Ocumare, Cata and Cuyagua to look at cacao, and up above Merida to look at coffee. It is a beautiful country, but crowded and increasingly dangerous.

Vanilla is labour intensive, but can be rewarding. It sells for up t USD50 a kilo now, for premium grade beans. We use glyricidia stakes, and various fruit trees for tutors, and hand pollinate. We are collecting much of our vanilla from the high bush, and have an FAO ] grant proposal for mapping vanilla in the wild out now. With any luck, we will get this project within a month. Like cacao, vanilla is a native plant species.

If you get a chance to visit, please do. We have a lot going on here with plants.