permaculture - Re: [permaculture] conservatism/food/references requested

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: yarrow@sfo.com
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] conservatism/food/references requested
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 11:36:17 -0800

At 8:57 AM -0600 2/19/08, Harmon Seaver wrote:
....the basic problem in the US is that there is zero political will to deal
with the problem. Heck -- nobody in the government is even willing to
talk about it, let alone do anything about it.

Hmm, I wonder. It took only a few years to make "global warming" a household word with a well-promoted documentary. I'd heard about it for decades in the science community, but when Gore was VP, I didn't hear anything about it from him or any other politicians. Yet as far as I can tell, it's still at the "talking" stage. So "all" it will take to spotlight food security is a similar promo effort by some other high-profile person who makes it the focus of their life for several years.

And as for doing anything about it...isn't the dwindling supply of oil the reason the neocons were so eager to take over Iraq? They're still not talking about it, though.

I think real solutions will originate from open discussions at the community level, where it's possible to create small-scale changes that can ripple outward.