permaculture - Re: [permaculture] conservatism

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Robert Waldrop" <bwaldrop@cox.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] conservatism
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 11:50:52 -0600

---- Original Message -----
I'm always amazed -- and I'm speaking generally about many of my fellow permaculturists here -- at how the so many of the same people who think we can radically and creatively alter the way we eat, drink,
live, work, and relate to the Earth are often paradoxically willing to throw up their hands at politics and economics,
So what would suggest they do? What do you see as the "next step" they should take. They clearly see the issues at hand

I think I've lost track as to who wrote the above. My response is that radically and creatively changing the way we eat, drink, live, work, and relate to the Earth is in fact the most effective form of political and economic work that is accessible to us. It is certainly more productive than voting in imperial elections. If we want a new economics, we have to start with our own situations. As we plant and nurture seeds there, we can grow a new economy.

No, it is not fast, sudden, big, bombastic, or very noticeable. If you sit and watch a tree grow, you will sit for a long time before you see much movement. But you will never get the forest if you don't plant the seed.

Bob Waldrop, OKC
tadpole in training with Barking Frogs Permaculture
www.barkinfrogspermaculture.org